Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Catholicism and vegetarianism mutually exclusive?

I was raised a Catholic - a fact that I haven't let bother me much at all for a long time. Still, I got to thinking. One thing I remember either from what mum told me or from RE lessons is the principle of transubstantiation. The short version of this idea is that when Joe Catholic receives the Eucharist (wine and wafer), he is literally ingesting the body and blood of Jesus H. Christ. Somehow, the outward appearances (and smells, tastes, other perceptions) of wafer and wine remain unchanged (I'm not writing to challenge this belief, I'm sure many people who read this will do that for me).

So, at least once a week (more when you include feast days), the devout Catholic will eat meat, or at least believe himself to be doing so. Therefore, you can't be a faithful believer in Catholicism and be a vegetarian. Or not a cannibal.

This leads me to conclude..what the fuck???

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word how I wish this logic worked!! Hello, stick to beat vegetarians/catholics with :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works in the mind on the believer! Surely, if you believe in transubstatiation, you couldn't believe you could be a vegetarian as well!

    Obviously, you could be both, because at least one is a load of nonsense..

    ReplyDelete